Wat Phukhao Thong or the Monastery of the Golden Mount Thai: เจดีย์ภูเขาทอง is a 50-metre chedi, or Buddhist tower. It is located off the city island in the plains 2 km northwest of Ayutthaya in Pukhao Thong Sub-distrit Visitors can climb … Continue reading
As a proud Davaoeno, I always try to promote places in my hometown. One of the most talked about tourist destinations now in Davao Oriental is the Sleeping Dinosaur Island. It is said that the island resembles a shape of … Continue reading
I have just visited Bangkok, Thailand and learned a lot of things while being there. There are things that I should have researched in order for me to have a more enjoyable and convenient stay in Bangkok. Here are some of the things that one should know while in Thailand.
1. Know your airport and how to travel from the airport to your hotel. There are two international airports in Bangkok.
- Don Mueang International Airport or Bangkok International Airport
- Suvarnabhumi Airport or New Bangkok International Airport
I arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport and I prefer this airport than the old one. This airport is more convenient since it has an Airport Rail Link to the city proper. The Airport Rail Link connects you to the MRT underground at Makkasan City Interchange Station (MRT Petchaburi Station) and the BTS Skytrain at Phayathai Station.
2. If you wanted to take a taxi from the Airport to your hotel, have the hotel address ready before calling a taxi driver. Most Taxi drivers don’t speak English well, so if you have the address written in Thai letters, the better. Also, please make sure to get a priority number (Ticket) from the taxi machine (see below) before booking a taxi, and check that the taxi meter is turned on. Please demand it to be turned on. Don’t agree if they ask you to pay a specific amount. From Suvarnabhumi airport to Sukhumvit 8, it was around 306 Baht plus 25 Baht & 50 Baht toll fees.
3. Learn the basic Thai greetings. It really helps to build rapport with the Thais if you knew some basic phrases.
|Polite particle for male speakers||khráp||ครับ|
|Polite particle for female speakers||khâ||ค่ะ|
|Hello. (male speakers)||sà-wàt-dii khráp||สวัสดี ครับ|
|Hello. (female speakers)||sà-wàt-dii khâ||สวัสดี ค่ะ|
|How are you?||sà-baai dii mái||สบายดี ไหม|
|I am fine.||sà-baai dii||สบายดี|
|Thanks. (male speakers)||khàwp khun khráp||ขอบคุณ ครับ|
|Thanks. (female speakers)||khàwp khun khâ||ขอบคุณ ค่ะ|
|Sorry. (male speakers)||khăw thôt khráp||ขอโทษ ครับ|
|Sorry. (female speakers)||khăw thôt khâ||ขอโทษ ค่ะ|
|Good morning.||à-run sà-wàt||อรุณ สวัสดิ์|
|Good afternoon.||sà-wàt-dii tawn thîang||สวัสดี ตอนเที่ยง|
|Good evening.||sà-wàt-dii tawn yen||สวัสดี ตอนเย็น|
|Goodnight.||râat-trii sà-wàt||ราตรี สวัสดิ์|
|Can you help me?||chûay nàwy dâai măi||ช่วย หน่อย ได้ ไหม|
|No problem.||mâi pen-rai||ไม่เป็นไร|
|My name is Jo.||chán chûe jo||ฉัน ชื่อ โจ|
|What is your name?||khun chûe à-rai||คุณ ชื่อ อะไร|
|Nice to meet you.||yin-dii thîi dâai rú jàk||ยินดี ที่ ได้ รู้จัก|
|Nice to talk to you.||yin-dii thîi dâai khui dûay||ยินดี ที่ ได้ คุย ด้วย|
|That’s great.||yîam mâak||เยี่ยม มาก|
4. Bring Baht with you for the transportation from the airport to your hotel. However, you can bring US Dollars and have it changed downtown. I also recommend “Super Rich” money changer as they have higher rates that the others. They are mostly found in BTS station and malls. Don’t change your money at the airport. The rates are lower.
5. Visit the temples in Bangkok. You don’t need a tour guide to visit the temples in Bangkok. They are very much accessible. You may ask your receptionist on how to go to these temples.
6. Do not forget to visit the CHATUCHAK MARKET. This is located at the Mo Chit Station – last station of BTS. This market is the biggest in the world. You can buy almost anything here. Please make sure that you negotiate the price. They can always give you a lower price.
7. Visit Siam Paragon, Siam Centre, Siam Discovery and MBK. These three shopping malls are just walking distance from each other. You can go to the Siam BTS station and start from there. Siam Paragon, Siam Centre and Siam Discovery are high end malls where you can buy branded products. MBK is the exact opposite. This is like a mall for he masses. It is like bazaars inside a mall. If you’ve been to Chatuchak, then it’s like an airconditioned Chatuchak. Madam Tussauds Bangkok can be found in Siam Discovery. Also, Sea Life Bangkok Ocean world is in Siam Paragon.
8. Try the FOOD. One of the best things in Thailand is the food variety. I just love the food options. From Japanese, to Korean, to Thai… Everything is in Thailand. It is also very affordable. Street food looks really delicious. Try eating anything that looks appealing to you.
9. Prostitution is everywhere in Bangkok. Don’t be surprised to see sexy women & transgender on the streets selling their body. If you are interested, just be careful and make sure you know who/what you are choosing. Transgenders in Thailand sometimes are prettier than other women.
10. There are SEX shows in Bangkok. One of the famous things you can find in Bangkok is their SEX SHOWS (both for men & women). Everyone knows about it, so you can just ask anyone how to get there. It’s like an entire street of bars and you can see girls being displayed on the street.
to be continued…
Ananuri (Georgian : ანანური ) is a castle complex on the Aragvi River in Georgia, about 45 miles (72 kilometres) from Tbilisi. In 1739, Ananuri was attacked by forces from a rival duchy, commanded by Shanshe of Ksani and was set on fire. The Aragvi clan was massacred. However, … Continue reading
In every travel I make, I always want to explore the different kinds of food that a particular place has to offer. Georgia is no exception. Since I have some problems with my stomach, I am always hesitant to try … Continue reading